Forum Teaching with LAMS - experiences: Share Resources

You may request notification for Share Resources.
Search: 

1: Share Resources
10/21/05 08:47 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Not sure if this is the place to ask but are there any developments likely with the Share Resources activity? On the authoring side the dialog could do with a usability makeover (especially when adding the comments that appear in the upper frame).

I also have issues with the lower frame itself, viz no access to browser search (I know Ctrl+F works in IE but something integrated would be nice), no support for cookies (causes problems on some technical sites with history and clipboard functions) and no complementary "Previous instruction" (I know you can rightclick and use Back but it's a bit of a pain).

I know that sometime in the future questions like this will raise a "good idea -- you do it" response so I thought I'd get in early! :-)

Posted by Peter Miller

2: Re: Share Resources
In response to 1 10/23/05 06:18 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Peter,

Thanks for your comments. All of the authoring screens will undergo radical changes in LAMS 1.1 (currently under development). There will be new options for all tools so the authoring screens couldn't continue as before.

Now don't panic - you won't have to learn a completely new interface. The overall method of drawing the sequence, putting in transitions, etc is the same. The windows that popup when you double click on an activity will be in a different format and hopefully some of the usability issues will be fixed.

I can't promise you will get all these features you have requested but your comments have be added to the "task description" so they will be considered.

Fiona

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

3: Re: Re: Share Resources
In response to 2 10/24/05 04:09 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Thanks, Fiona. The other two bugbears are sites that resist being put into frames and those that insist on popping up new pages. Don't ask for much, do I? ;-)

Posted by Peter Miller

4: Re: Re: Re: Share Resources
In response to 3 10/24/05 05:09 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Peter,

Specifically about Share Resources, here are some of the changes we are adding in 1.1:

You'll have the option of openning the resource in a separate window (pop-up) or in the lower frame (just as it is now). If you want your students to copy/paste URLs and stuff, then the pop-up option will do best.

In addition, if the Share Resource activity has one and only one resource, it will be openned straight away when the students get to that activity (instead of the few clicks they need to go thru to open it now).

Does these address most of your concerns? If not, let me know and we can possibly accommodate for some few extra little changes. But I can't promise much though :-)

Thanks,

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

5: Re: Re: Re: Re: Share Resources
In response to 4 10/25/05 03:08 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I think the proposed changes are the best that can be made under the very diverse circumstances.

Many thanks

Peter

Posted by Peter Miller

Reply to first post on this page
Back to Teaching with LAMS - experiences