Forum Teaching with LAMS - experiences: Re: Re: Experiences with chat in computer labs

Search: 

8: Re: Re: Experiences with chat in computer labs
In response to 7 10/17/05 10:37 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I've been wondering about what happens to the students that aren't so comfortable with typing.

I know that chat can move very fast, especially if there are more than 4-5 people on at the same time. Do you find that some students get left behind?

What about if they are using chat shorthand, e.g. lol, rofl etc. (I know my mum uses lol to mean 'lots of love', which adds to the general confusion - although in a happy way!).

Is it something to be concerned about, or do the teachers out there find that the differences in skill levels aren't big enough to be a serious disadvantage.

Deb, I will be interested to know how your homework chat goes. Are the students organised enough to all be on at the same time?

Have fun with it anyway next week. :-)
Bronwen

Posted by Bronwen Dalziel

9: Re: Re: Re: Experiences with chat in computer labs
In response to 8 11/27/05 01:30 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Bronwen I was really worried about this: some of my students had never used a computer before this year, and others use them all day at work! I found that the slower ones wrote shorter comments, held back and laughed and talked across the room, then wrote a little more. They were able to dip their toe in and then spend a bit more time on the following activities(q&a...forums...). They did notice the slowness of their typing, but this was balanced by a great sense of achievement. This is yet another one of the joys of the blended approach, and it is also a fun way of developing new literacies...

Posted by Angela Voerman

Reply to first post on this page
Back to Teaching with LAMS - experiences