Forum Teaching with LAMS - experiences: Thinking of PhD Reserach

You may request notification for Thinking of PhD Reserach.
Search: 

1: Thinking of PhD Reserach
08/20/07 08:56 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hello all,

My name is Alfred Low, a part-time PhD student and full time Educational Technologist at the National University of Singapore. I wish to take this opportunity to thank Dr James Dalziel for coming to NUS to introduce LAMS. That talk had attacted much interests among the teaching staff. It is a good sign!

I have been thinking very hard about my dissertation topic and after much thought and self reflection, I am contemplating about study the dynamics between espoused pedagogical content and pedagogical content in practice. And then, within pedagogical content in practice, how the teacher's choice of activity/tasks shifts over time in LAMS in the semester. I wish to use the Activity theory to describe and identify the affordances in the tools in LAMS and how these are taken up vis-a-vis sociocultural/historical influences.

The output might be a model to describe and/or hopefully, to predict the effects sociocultural/historical on pedagogical content and then the changes in the choice of activities/tasks in the learning design. Is this a sensible research?

I hope to Dr Dalziel that you might informally remotely co-supervise me although I already have a supervisor and his background is Human Computer Interaction (HCI), not instructional design? But there is no honourarium given. I shall try to arrange something with my department but no assurances. :(

My closest association with the faculty in Australia is Prof John Hedberg and Assoc Prof Lim C.P.

Posted by Alfred Low

2: Re: Thinking of PhD Reserach
In response to 1 08/20/07 09:04 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Pardon me, a typo...your sirname should be spelled "Dalziel". I tried to edit my post but I could not do that.

Posted by Alfred Low

3: Re: Thinking of PhD Research
In response to 1 08/20/07 09:38 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
It is interesting how much have developed in terms of describing pedagogy is concerned. In the words of Beetham and Sharpe (2007), "the term 'pedagogy' is not without its critics, particularly in the field of post-compulsory education." (p.1.) "Despite its etymological connection with children (paidia),, contemporary use of the term has lost its exclusive reference to childhood while retaining its original sense of leading or guiding to learn.

I have found, as did Conole, that Meyes and de Frietas classification of pedagogy has been most useful. I also find Conole, Dyke, Oliver and Seale (2004)'s Octahedon for situating and locating learning theories most interesting.

In addition, I have found the taxomomy of task given by Dodge, B, and tools by Laurillard or Conole most useful in mapping task and tools to pedagogy.

Their work forms the foundation of my research on LAMS - how pedagogy-task-tool affects the quality of learning and outcomes of learning.

Posted by Alfred Low

4: Re: Thinking of PhD Research
In response to 1 08/20/07 10:44 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Could the administrator of this forum be so kind as to place an edit button on the interface? I was typing away without my glasses on and wish to correct my typo....sigh.

Posted by Alfred Low

5: Re: Re: Thinking of PhD Research
In response to 4 08/20/07 11:31 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Alfred,

I can't single out the edit permission out from the Admin one, so I can't add it to the page. But I have fixed your typo on your posting already.

Hope that helps,

ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

6: Re: Thinking of PhD Reserach
In response to 1 09/10/07 05:20 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Alfred,

Apologies for the slow response - I'd missed your post until now. Glad to hear my visit has sparked both your interest and that of your colleagues at NUS.

I can certainly see various promising avenues for research along the lines you suggest, especially exploring differences between "stated" and "actual" pedagogical approaches, as well as exploring how an educator's pedagogical approaches "pre-LAMS" might be different to how they evolve with ongoing use of LAMS.

Some research on the impact of LAMS on teachers includes the BECTA schools pilot of LAMS:
http://partners.becta.org.uk/upload-dir/downloads/page_documents/research/lams.pdf
and the JISC HE/FE pilot of LAMS:
http://www.jisc.ac.uk/uploaded_documents/LAMS%20Final%20Report.pdf
While both of these studies are from a few years ago, and based on LAMS V1, they provide interesting early data and suggestions for future research. It would be interesting to explore any variations in these general findings under LAMS V2.

Another area of work that may relate to your interests is the new work on "pedagogic planners" - especially the two JISC funded projects in this area - London Knowledge Lab project:
http://www.jisc.ac.uk/whatwedo/programmes/elearning_pedagogy/elp_ioeplanner.aspx
Oxford project:
http://www.jisc.ac.uk/whatwedo/programmes/elearning_pedagogy/elp_phoebe.aspx
We recently held a roundtable discussion of pedagogic planner issues in London after the 2007 European LAMS conference - the website for this is still under construction, but for an overview of the meeting (and a link to this site will be added later), see
http://lamsfoundation.org/lams2007/meeting.htm

Hope this helps as a start. While I can't act as a formal supervisor for your PhD, I'm happy to provide feedback when I can.

James

Posted by James Dalziel

7: Re: Re: Thinking of PhD Reserach
In response to 6 09/24/07 03:29 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Dr Dalziel,

1. That's wonderful. Let me look at all the links that you've supplied before I write you again.

2. I am getting our InstructionalTechnology department to expedite the integration of LAMS into IVLE (our CMS/LMS) so that learning sequences can be analyzed over time.

3. I wish to examine the change of pedagogy, i.e. cognitive. situative or associative (Mayes & De Frietas, 2007) and the change of activities/task. I wish to understand the curricular and sociocultural influences affecting learning design, and then the affordances (Kennewell, Parkinson and Tanner, 2000; Conole. 2005)that are perceived and taken up in new designs.

I hope to extrapolate the relationships using multivariate statistical methods such as multi dimensional scaling or factor analysis. Don't know if these methods will make any sense.

Okay, back to the drawing board.

Posted by Alfred Low

10: Re: Re: Thinking of PhD Research
In response to 6 10/17/07 09:22 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Dr Dalziel,

I am looking for data to analyze because my tech department is sluggish in integrating LAMS with their CMS.

IS it possible for you to link me to some schools in Singapore that you know of or other schools that uses LAMS and wants to do research?

Please advice if this is possible and acceptable?

Posted by Alfred Low

8: Re: Literature review
In response to 1 10/16/07 12:32 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Confusion with the term: 'activity'

I see learning design in LAMS as a collection of activities that the teacher is predisposed to use.

Human and Computer interaction (HCI) researchers Kaptelinin and Nardi (2006, p. 62) provides a conceptual framework of an activity as an hierarchical structure organised into three layers (Figure 5). “The top layer is the activity itself, which is oriented towards a motive. The motive is the object, which stimulates and excites the subject. It is the object that the subject ultimately needs to attain.” Kaptelinin & Nardi asserts that “human activities are typically not directed straight at their motives, and that “socially distributed activities are characterised by dissociation between their motivating and directing objects.” And then, Engestrom mediational triangle puts another face to activity. Sigh...that's something I have to try to understand.

But unlike, Kaptelinin & Nardi, Beetham (2007, p. 29) use the term task instead of action as a constituent of activity, but Beetham was referring to activities for learning or interaction that a teacher plans for in E-learning design, not activity in a generic sense per se. Anyone?

Posted by Alfred Low

9: Re: Re: Literature review
In response to 8 10/17/07 02:10 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Got it!

The hierarchical structure of activity in its broad sense can be analyzed at different levels: activities, actions and operations (Leontiev, 1974). “Actions are conscious goal-directed processes that must be undertaken to fulfil the object. Different actions may be undertaken to meet the same goal. Goals have lower-level goals, and so forth. Nardi (1997, p. 74) adds that “actions are similar to what are often referred to in the HCI literature as tasks (e.g. Norman, 1991)

In LAMS, teachers and learners in their respective roles perform an assortment of tasks. :)

Posted by Alfred Low

Reply to first post on this page
Back to Teaching with LAMS - experiences