Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: Re: Moodle/LAMS problems with monitoring

Search: 

2: Re: Moodle/LAMS problems with monitoring
In response to 1 02/22/08 05:40 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
For the "Resources and Forum" activity you need to single click on the red symbol and a little popup menu should appear. In the menu will be an entry for Share Resources and an entry for Forum. Double click on the Forum to see the Forum page or double click on the Share Resources entry to see the Share Resources page.

The "Forum and Scribe" and "Chat and Scribe" activities work the same way.

Fiona

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

3: Re: Re: Moodle/LAMS problems with monitoring
In response to 2 02/22/08 05:43 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Attached is a picture to help explain.

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

Attachments:
4: Re: Re: Moodle/LAMS problems with monitoring
In response to 2 02/23/08 05:58 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Fiona,

Thanks a lot for the prompt response. That's *more or less* what I was doing. The problem was that instead of clicking on the 'share resources' or the 'forum', I clicked on the first item that appears on the unfolded menu which is not one of the two options but the item corresponding to the heading of the menu, so to speak: 'Resources and Forum'. The way you have it is the usual way of working for most unfolding menus but somehow I found it more confusing here. I guess it is because it shows the red square and that somehow mislead me.

The other thing is that when I click on the forum or the 'share resources' I don't see anything in it and I'm not sure this is because my students have not uploaded anything yet or because I'm not supposed to see anything. Reading the instructions, I assume that if there was any contribution in the forum or any uploaded files, I would be able to see that but now I'm not sure. It's been a while the sequence opened and so the students should have had plenty of time to start working. But then again, I guess students (and people who are not students) tend to leave things for just before the deadline :-)

Anyway. Thanks a lot for your help. It is the first time I'm running a sequence in a real classroom situation and this takes a little time to get used to.

Josep M.

Posted by Josep M. Fontana

5: Re: Re: Re: Moodle/LAMS problems with monitoring
In response to 4 02/23/08 04:55 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
It is a little bit confusing. One of the improvements that will be in LAMS 2.1 is that you can double click on the "heading" bit as well the other bits in the unfolded menu and it will work. But 2.1 isn't out yet!

When you click on the Forum or the Share Resources, do you get a completely white page, or do you get a normal page but with no entries from the students? If you get a completely white page, then there is an error happening. You need to check lams.log and server.log in [jboss]/server/default/log to find out what the error is.

The other way you can look at the student's answers is to go to the Sequence tab (in monitoring) and double click on the Forum or Share Resources icons there. This should give you a new window with all student's entries for the whole class. It does mean you have to look through all the entries for a particular student though.

Finally, if you get really desperate and none of those screens work, you could do export portfolio (on the sequence tab to get all the stuff for the whole class or on the learner tab to get just the stuff for one student). Then unzip the .zip file that is downloaded and look at the pages in the zip file.

Fiona

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

6: Re: Re: Re: Re: Moodle/LAMS problems with monitoring
In response to 5 02/24/08 11:26 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Thanks again Fiona,

It's good to hear that you will improve this for version 2.1.

As for the monitoring of the activities, maybe it is in fact that my students have not posted anything yet. I don't get a blank screen. I see the the following links:

Resources to view Completed
Web Search
Alternative Web Search

I had set it up so that students could upload files. I just don't see any file uploaded. I may very well be that they have not done anything yet.

Josep M.

Posted by Josep M. Fontana

7: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Moodle/LAMS problems with monitoring
In response to 6 02/24/08 10:26 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
That sounds like you have the correct page. I suspect you are right - the students are leaving it to the last minute.

Fiona

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum