Forum Problems Installing LAMS: Re: Re: Re: Problem installing on a shared server

Search: 

5: Re: Re: Re: Problem installing on a shared server
In response to 3 07/10/07 09:57 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Bleah. There goes that theory out the window.

The JAVA_HOME and PATH aren't right - the "jdk1.6.0_02" bit needs a path in front of it. Even it if was in the root directory (which I doubt) it would be "/jdk1.6.0_02".

But I doubt that's the problem, as Java is trying to start but can't get enough memory.

And that version of Java should be fine.

Can you try issuing a few more commands for us? That might give us a clue. At the command line on the server, try the following commands and post the output:

• uname -a
  • java -v
  • whereis java

e.g. when I do it on one of our servers I see:

$ uname -a
    Linux laxxxxxx 2.4.9-e.24smp #1 SMP Tue May 27 16:07:39 EDT 2003 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

$ java -version
    java version "1.6.0"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0-b105)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 1.6.0-b105, mixed mode)

$ whereis java
    java:

In this case, whereis didn't find Java. Don't be worried if that happens on your server. It just goes to show that whereis doesn't always know where everything is... But it works on some servers.

Fiona

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

• 6: Re: Re: Re: Re: Problem installing on a shared server
    In response to 5 07/10/07 09:59 PM
    [ Reply | Forward ]
    Sorry Rod - try JunDir's suggestion first. He was a quicker typist than me and I didn't see his response before posting.

Fiona

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

7: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Problem installing on a shared server
    In response to 6 07/11/07 02:49 PM
    [ Reply | Forward ]
    Thanks for all the help!

However, I finally got a response from tech support. My shared server is hosted by 1and1. They told me that the server will not support Java.

I am not looking for an affordable service that would support it. I am communicating with them about it now to see if they offer something I can afford.

Their Virtual Private Server may be an option. It is affordable. However, if not, the next step with them would cost too much.

Any ideas?

Posted by Rod Spears

8: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Problem installing on a shared server
    In response to 7 07/11/07 02:51 PM
    [ Reply | Forward ]
    I meant to say I am NOW looking for an affordable service.

Posted by Rod Spears

Reply to first post on this page
    Back to Problems Installing LAMS