Forum Problems Installing LAMS: Re: Problem in depoy-tools

Search: 

2: Re: Problem in depoy-tools
In response to 1 06/06/07 06:06 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I replied to Bhavesh directly by email earlier, as we were having some problems with the LAMS Community. But in case anyone else is interested in my reply, here it is:

-------------

Did you run "deploy-tools" in the lams_build project, or "deploy-tool" in lams_tool_scribe project?

This message isn't an error - it was just a reminder to us that the scribe tool isn't available as a standalone tool - it only comes bundled with chat and scribe or forum and scribe.

BUT.....

This is an old message. I've just run the deploy-tools task in the lams_build project and I don't get that text. The text used to appear when we built the scribe tool, but the message should have been removed in the 2.0.1 release.

Are you building from CVS or did you download the zipped up copy of the source code from the Downloads page?

If you aren't using the 2.0.3 release, you should get the latest copy of the code as there have been significant changes from the 2.0 release.

Fiona

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

3: Re: Re: Problem in depoy-tools
In response to 2 06/06/07 11:55 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Thanks for the Reply!

I had downloaded the code from CVS (lams2_0_stable). I executed deploy-tools ant task after following the tasks mentioned in "http://wiki.lamsfoundation.org/display/lams/Building+LAMS".

I think i am not using the version 2.0.3

Posted by Bhavesh Bhanushali

4: Re: Re: Re: Problem in depoy-tools
In response to 3 06/07/07 04:07 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
If you've got lams2_0_stable then you should be able to ignore that warning, do the ant tasks mentioned on Building LAMS page and start up LAMS. It should work.

If you want the latest version, you can check out of CVS using the tag lams2_0_3. That will give you the same code as we released in the Windows installer on Monday.

I forgot we had mentioned the tag name on the CVS instructions so I hadn't updated it for the newer versions. That is my mistake - please accept my apologies for your wasted time.

I have updated the Building LAMS page now and I'll try to remember to update the tag mentioned there in the future.

You can also download the code in one go, by downloading the lams2.0.3.zip file on the Downloads page. Its under the heading "LAMS 2.0 Source" and is about two-thirds of the way down the page.

Let me know how you go!

Fiona

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

5: Re: Re: Re: Re: Problem in depoy-tools
In response to 4 06/11/07 02:06 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Fiona,

Thanks for the help and Please do not apologize. That's ok!

As per your suggestion i downloaded the latest source version 2.0.3 from CVS and ran through the build process.

Before doing the build i cleared the lams.ear folder from JBOSS to ensure that the build files are the latest files.
During deploy-tool task i got the following error

------------------
[java] TOOL DEPLOY FAILED
[java] org.lamsfoundation.lams.tool.deploy.DeployException: Error reading application xml
[java] at org.lamsfoundation.lams.tool.deploy.UpdateApplicationXmlTask.parseApplicationXml(UpdateApplicationXmlTask.java:208)
[java] at org.lamsfoundation.lams.tool.deploy.UpdateApplicationXmlTask.execute(UpdateApplicationXmlTask.java:126)
[java] at org.lamsfoundation.lams.tool.deploy.Deploy.main(Deploy.java:208)
[java] Caused by: java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out: connect

------
Could you please advise, what can be the problem?

Regards
Bhavesh R Bhanushali

6: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Problem in depoy-tools
In response to 5 06/11/07 02:34 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hmm, I think this is due to the deploy-tool utility not being able to access the net when running. Are you trying to do a build on a machine that can't access the internet?

Unfortunately, the XML parser we are using won't work if it can't get to a website referenced in the DOCTYPE in the XML file it is parsing.

So if the computer you are building on isn't internet, then this step will fail.

Otherwise its a good parser so we don't want to change parsers!

There is a workaround:

* Do the normal assemble-ear and deploy.ear.
* Remove the DOCTYPE line from the application.xml file in server/default/deploy/lams.ear/META-INF (I suggest cutting and pasting it elsewhere as you will to paste it back again later).
* Run the deploy-tools
* Put the DOCTYPE line back into the application.xml.
* Start JBOSS

Fiona

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

7: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Problem in depoy-tools
In response to 6 06/11/07 03:46 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi,

Thanks a lot! I was able to do a complete build.

I do not know whether the problem which i am facing now is related to this post or not.

During Authoring of "Q & A" tool, the instruction area normally shows "fckeditor" in version 2 but in this version, instead of displaying fckeditor below the instruction area, it shows a login screen. The tool is not able to remember the login information.

I hope i am able to explain the behaviour.

I believe there is something related to fckeditor.

Can somebody help me on this.

Thanks in advance

Regards,
Bhavesh R Bhanushali

8: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Problem in depoy-tools
In response to 7 06/11/07 05:06 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Don't remember seeing this one before.

The FCKEditor lives in a different web-app to q&a, so that suggests something is going wrong with the "glue" that keeps you logged into LAMS.

I'm guessing here but could you check your serverURL setting? When that is wrong, all sorts of weird things happen.

Log in as sysadmin, go to the System Admin menu and do Edit Configuration Settings. Check the ServerURL entry. If will be accessing LAMS from just the computer running LAMS (e.g. your own PC when doing development or testing), then it can be set to http://localhost:8080/lams/. If you will be accessing LAMS from another computer, then you have to change "localhost" to the name/ip of the LAMS computer.

If that doesn't do it, can you grab the logs and post them here? Don't paste them into the window, zip them and attach them to a post. The instructions for the logs are on the wiki . I'll be particularly interested in the access log.

Fiona

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

Reply to first post on this page
Back to Problems Installing LAMS