Forum Problems Installing LAMS: Re: 'author' does not open

Search: 

2: Re: 'author' does not open
In response to 1 05/22/07 05:07 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Matt,

Hmm, this sort of problem can be hard to determine, so I'll ask a few questions. Sorry if they sound dumb, just trying to track down all possibilities.

** By "demo" you mean you are using the http://demo.lamscommunity.org/ server? If so, what is your login? Then we can check the logs and see what is the last call we got from your browser.

** If you have installed the Flash player, I assume you installed Flash 9? Do you know the exact version (you can get it by going to http://www.macromedia.com/software/flash/about/) - we've had a number of mysterious problems with Flash Player 9,0,16,0.

** Are you on Linux, Mac or Windows? Firefox or IE?

** You are using English? ie you haven't changed to another language? If the translation file for authoring is missing that will cause the authoring client to hang on loading. I thought we had files for all the languages but maybe we've missed one.

** Occasionally my Flash setup gets itself really confused and I have to clear my Flash cache area. I've never seen this on a "normal" user's PC - as a developer I tend to do weird things and I've always put it down to that. But its worth a try.

Assuming you are in Windows (we've only seen it in Windows)

*  Go to Windows Explorer and find "Documents and Settings\<your windows username>\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\<alphanumeric string>\#demo.lamscommunity.org
* Delete any files found in the folder.
* In your browser, clear the browser cache and close the browser.
* Restart your PC.

Fiona

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

3: Re: Re: 'author' does not open
In response to 2 05/22/07 06:57 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Fiona
my login is mblackband
yes flash 9.
Windows IE
English
Couldn't locate the folders following your instructions to remove files in folder - they weren't in documents and settings.
Cheers
Matt

Posted by Matthew Blackband

4: Re: Re: Re: 'author' does not open
In response to 3 05/23/07 01:26 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Matt,

I've had a chat with our Flash programmer and our guess is that Flash is having trouble reading or writing some configuration files. When the Authoring window loads, it stores a couple of configuration files on your local disk e.g. the English dictionary, to save it loading next time.

Given that you can't find the directory with the files in it, this is suspicious. Do you have ANY directories under ApplicationData\Macromedia?

Could you have something turned on in IE that is stopping Flash writing out files?

Fiona

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

Reply to first post on this page
Back to Problems Installing LAMS