Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: Re: LAMS2 - Moodle1.7.2 errors

Search: 

2: Re: LAMS2 - Moodle1.7.2 errors
In response to 1 04/10/07 05:40 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Nicolai,

I'll leave the curlier ones for our folks who do more Moodle stuff to answer.

(1) Can you post a screen dump? Just so we know exactly which pink box you are talking about.

(2) I think that is the version of LAMS that you are running. We managed to get the "Close and return to {request_source}" message into the Moodle end for the initial release, but not in LAMS 2.0. So until you move to LAMS 2.0.2, you won't see this message.

As a result, you won't get the list of sequences in Moodle automatically refreshed - you will need to refresh the list manually.

We are working on the 2.0.2 installer for Unix/Linux.

(3) Sounds a bit like the Server URL setting for LAMS is wrong. Go into LAMS (login as sysadmin) select the sysadmin menu and select the configuration entry. Then check the serverURL setting. I'm not sure exactly what to tell you to set it to - I have it set to localhost:8080 but I run Moodle and LAMS locally only ie only accessed from my computer. I suspect you need it set to the "real" name of the server.

I'll check with our guys in the morning, unless someone else can help with this one before then? (It is 9:40pm at night in Australia.)

Finally, can I clarify what you mean by "LAMS2 and two different Moodles 1.7.2 running on separate Lams and Moodle servers". You mean you have three servers - two running Moodle and one running LAMS, with the two Moodle servers both talking the to one LAMS server?

Or 4 servers with two pairs of Moodle and LAMS?

Regards,

Fiona

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

3: Re: Re: LAMS2 - Moodle1.7.2 errors
In response to 2 04/11/07 02:04 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Fiona,

1) Here is the screen dump of what we get after pressing the "start now" button

2) OK. Good news you are working on the Linux installer.

3) Server settings for LAMS...double checked it, but found nothing strange there...

4) server config: server 1 is running Moodle1 and Moodle2, server 2 is running LAMS and Wildfire.

Thanks a lot so far,
Nicolai

Posted by Nicolai van der Woert

Attachments:
4: Re: Re: LAMS2 - Moodle1.7.2 errors
In response to 2 04/11/07 02:13 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Fiona,

It must be your positive vibes - most parts of the Moodle problems are solved. It turned out that parameters in Moodle and Lams integrated servers were right, and I got the thing working after deleting the Lamstwo module in Moodle (and thereby the Moodle database tables for Lamstwo), and next clicking on "notifications" to get a clean reinstall of the module. When this was done everything worked fine for normal LAMS learning activities in Moodle.

What still is not working is the LAMS course in Moodle: the buttons Open LAMS monitor and Open LAMS Learner are present, but clicking results in the browser reporting "page cannot be displayed ... cannot find server or DNS error." (screendump: see attach)

So besides this, there is only the ChatServer still not working (the server is UP; screendumps - see attach.

Hope the good vibes will continue OR your Great Brains will know the solution to these points.

BTW: thanks to all the people at LAMS HQ and in the community, it is really a great job you're doing!

Regards,
Nicolai.

Attachments:
5: Re: Re: Re: LAMS2 - Moodle1.7.2 errors
In response to 4 04/11/07 08:34 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
> What still is not working is the LAMS course in Moodle: the buttons Open LAMS monitor and Open LAMS Learner are present, but clicking results in the browser reporting "page cannot be displayed ... cannot find server or DNS error." (screendump: see attach)

Are these links pointing to the LAMS server? It sounds like they may have a typo... check your LAMS url setting under the lamstwo module configuration page.

> The chat server does not want to start up.
Xmmpdomain and Xmmpconference are set to mydomain.nl, username and password fillied in correctly.

Xmppdomain should be set to 'mydomain.nl', but make sure also that Xmppconference is set to 'conference.mydomain.nl'.

> When running or previewing LAMS sequences (stand alone or from Moodle), LAMS seems to hang:
- in the learner environment: "next task is loading, please wait" , and nothing more happens.
- in the monitor environment a sheep and loading to the full 100%, but then a sheep above an empty box and nothing more.
The admin and author environments work fine.
What is causing this?

Does this still happen, or is it fixed as well? i.e. LAMS learner and monitor windows hanging. If you login to LAMS directly (i.e. not through Moodle), do the learner and monitor interfaces load correctly?

Could you send us or attach your LAMS logs? See 'Which files to send?' at http://wiki.lamsfoundation.org/display/lamsdocs/Creating+DEBUG+Logs

Also if you still have a problem connecting to chat, send your Wildfire logs as well - they should be in a 'logs' subdirectory, e.g. /opt/wildfire/logs/*.

Thanks,

Posted by Jun-Dir Liew

6: Re: Re: Re: Re: LAMS2 - Moodle1.7.2 errors
In response to 5 04/12/07 03:16 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi,

We are getting closer...

>> What still is not working is the LAMS course in Moodle: the buttons Open LAMS monitor and Open LAMS Learner are present, but clicking results in the browser reporting "page cannot be displayed ... cannot find server or DNS error." (screendump: see attach)

> Are these links pointing to the LAMS server? It sounds like they may have a typo... check your LAMS url setting under the lamstwo module configuration page.

The links were pointing to our previous LAMS1 implementation on port 8181, while our LAMS2 implementation is running at port 8881. What I did is completely delete the LAMS1 module and LAMS1 php-files from moodle, delete the LAMS2 module and get a clean reinstall, so no residue can still be there in the database, and only LAMS2 php files are in the Moodle installation.
The result when creating an NEW Moodle COURSE with LAMS format:
Warning: main(/var/www/vhosts/mydomain.eu/httpdocs/mod/lams/constants.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/vhosts/neuroblend.eu/subdomains/vectors/httpdocs/course/format/lams/format.php on line 7

So it seems there is a bug in the Moodle Code that creates a new course
OR
in some Moodle related database table an old entry for LAMS1 is not removed by deleting the LAMS1 module:
Moodle is still expecting LAMS1 php files to be there, and is not yet prepared for LAMS2 course format and LAMS2 php files when creating a new LAMS2 course.
At the same time, when creating a LAMS2 learning ACTIVITY (so not the LAMS course format), all works well.
Our Moodle version is 1.7.2+ (2006101020).

Any idea what has to be changed in the Moodle code, or cleaned in one of the "course" database tables?

-----

>> The chat server does not want to start up.
Xmmpdomain and Xmmpconference are set to mydomain.nl, username and password fillied in correctly.

> Xmppdomain should be set to 'mydomain.nl', but make sure also that Xmppconference is set to 'conference.mydomain.nl'.

I changed this and no the results are:

- for the preview from authoring thru direct login in LAMS2 now there seems to be a connection but no login:
Couldn't connect. Please try again...
Code: 401
Type: auth
Condition: not-authorized

- for the learner view and preview from authoring from Moodle there still is no connex:
Couldn't connect. Please try again...
Code: 503
Type: cancel
Condition: service-unavailable

The admin username and password are correctly specified in the LAMS2 config.

Any idea where this leads us? (wildfire log attached; LAMS2 and Wildfire running at the same server)

------

>> When running or previewing LAMS sequences (stand alone or from Moodle), LAMS seems to hang
> Does this still happen, or is it fixed as well?

This one is fixed after re-installing the LAMStwo module in Moodle. Apparantly there was some dirt from the past in the database.

Regards, Nicolai

Attachments:
7: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: LAMS2 - Moodle1.7.2 errors
In response to 6 04/12/07 06:30 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Re: LAMS1 module, removing the 'mod/lams' directory won't completely remove it; there are still the files under 'course/format/lams', which as you discovered, still reference the module files under 'mod/lams'. What I normally do is leave the LAMS1 module files where they are, and simply use the 'hide module' button in Moodle admin. For your case, you'll need to remove the 'course/format/lams' directory as well, if you want to stop getting warnings due to an incomplete deletion of the module. (there is also a language file, and the database tables, but I don't think they will give you warnings if they remain there).

Bear in mind that the 'LAMS' course format refers to the LAMS1 module; the LAMS2 module (or 'lamstwo') doesn't support its own course format.

Re: wildfire, thanks for the logs, I think the answer is found in this entry in the warning log:

Closing session due to incorrect hostname in stream header. Host: localhost

It looks like the 'Server name' parameter in Wildfire is localhost, this needs to be the same as the XmppDomain parameter in LAMS. Since they are on the same box, either change XmppDomain and XmppConference to 'localhost' and 'conference.localhost', or login to your Wildfire admin console (http://localhost:9090), and change the 'Server name' property to 'mydomain.nl'.

Posted by Jun-Dir Liew

8: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: LAMS2 - Moodle1.7.2 errors
In response to 7 04/28/07 08:01 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi,

I am working together with Nicolai on the Lams, Wildfire & Moodles. We are trying to get the wildfire working with LAMS at the moment.

We now have the following settings:

Wildfire servername: localhost
Lams XmppDomain: locahost
Lams XmppConference: conference.localhost

But still nothing when I preview a 'Chat' tool in the LAMS author.

info.log
========

2007.04.28 15:46:11 Started server (unencrypted) socket on port: 5269
2007.04.28 15:46:11 Started component (unencrypted) socket on port: 5275
2007.04.28 15:46:11 Started plain (unencrypted) socket on port: 5222
2007.04.28 15:46:13 Started SSL (encrypted) socket on port: 5223
2007.04.28 15:46:13 Wildfire 3.2.2 [Apr 28, 2007 3:46:13 PM]
2007.04.28 15:46:16 Admin console listening at:
  http://localhost:9090
  https://localhost:9091

warn.log
========

2007.04.28 15:46:13 Admin console: Using RSA certificates but they are not valid for the hosted domain

stderror.log
============

Server halted

Posted by Boy de Wit

9: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: LAMS2 - Moodle1.7.2 errors
In response to 8 04/29/07 06:34 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hello!

If there's nothing in the Wildfire logs, it usually means everything is fine. What message did you get in LAMS' chat window? e.g. 503 error... are you sure the Wildfire server was running?

One way to check if Wildfire is receiving anything is to see if it has created a user for the person who has just entered a chatroom, e.g. when you're previewing a Chat tool. Login to http://localhost:9090, click 'users/groups' in the menu, and see the list of users (it should be almost empty if it's a new server). Then try to use your Chat tool. After, refresh the list of users in Wildfire admin console again - it should have a new entry for the chat preview you just did.

Posted by Jun-Dir Liew

Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum