Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: Re: Re: Re: Re: Manuals for LAMS 2.0

Search: 

5: Re: Re: Re: Re: Manuals for LAMS 2.0
In response to 4 02/01/07 12:07 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
The point about assigning sequences to groups is important - when you select a group for a sequence then it will bring you up a list of all the users in that group so if you want someone in a group to do a sequence, then you have to assign the sequence to their group.

You can't assign a sequence to more than one group, but a user can belong to more than one group.

If remove a user from a group, then they will not be able to get to the sequences attached to their old group anymore, although any entries they made in the sequence will still be there in the sequence. So you might want to think about making it "Year 7 (2007)".

Fiona

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

7: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Manuals for LAMS 2.0
In response to 5 02/01/07 03:06 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
My context is a fairly large high school with approx 1100 students and approx 80 teachers.
Can you clarify something for me please

From both replies it appears I could create groups for each year level and then import the relevant students into each group e.g. Yr8 Yr9 Yr10 Yr11 Yr12.

I can see that this would make it easier to select students for courses than if I created one large group called say school which holds all students.

However on the other hand Jun-Dir said "Users are put into groups, for example a group called 'Year 7'. At this level you have students, teachers and admins, who can be given admin rights."

Since teachers have classes across grade levels which group do teachers get assigned to?

Greg

Posted by Greg Jones

8: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Manuals for LAMS 2.0
In response to 7 02/01/07 05:19 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Users can be assigned to more than one group - they don't have to be stuck to only 1 group. So you can add your teachers as monitors (the role name for teachers in LAMS 2) to each group that they have a class in.

For example you could create a user called teachera in the group "Year 7 '07", with author, learner, monitor. You also want to give him/her the ability to manage all Year 7 classes, so you also give them the 'group admin' role.

However teachera also teachers other years, so you go to each of the other groups, click 'Manage Users', 'Add/Remove Users', and add teachera with the author, learner and monitor roles.

Posted by Jun-Dir Liew

Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum