Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: Urgent Feedback Needed on Right To Left Support

You may request notification for Urgent Feedback Needed on Right To Left Support.
Search: 

1: Urgent Feedback Needed on Right To Left Support
10/05/06 10:29 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
We have done a test implementation of right-to-left support for Arabic in some parts of 2.0RC1. We need some feedback before we can decide how much support we will do for the final release 2.0.

The current plan is to make:
* All HTML pages mostly right to left - so some of the page layout might still be out but we would do as much as we can.
* None of the Flash would be changed - so what you see now in Flash is what you would get in 2.0.

Would this partial implementation be okay or would it be better to just leave the Arabic pages running left to right? That is, would a partial implementation be more confusing to users than just using left to right?

The majority of the problems would be seen by authors and teachers, not by learners. There is one problem on the learners screen that we can't fix in time for 2.0.

We need to know what you MUST have to make LAMS usable in a right to left language. We can't do everything we would like in the few weeks before 2.0 is released, but we will do what we can.

If we don't get any feedback, then we probably won't do any more right to left support in LAMS for 2.0 and then you will have to wait till the next version. We need the feedback or we may be wasting our time doing more work on this and getting it completely wrong.

So I'm desperately begging for feedback on this!

Are there any other languages we currently have that would you would like us to switch to be right to left, rather than left to right?

I have given some example screens on:
http://wiki.lamsfoundation.org/display/lams/RTL+Feedback.

Please have a look at the screens and the comment on this page and give us some feedback.

http://wiki.lamsfoundation.org/display/lams/RTL+Feedback

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

2: Re: Urgent Feedback Needed on Right To Left Support
In response to 1 10/06/06 04:25 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Fiona:

We did the translation. I could not locate the 2 terms Playpen (مضمار) and Everybody (الجميع). The Arabic translations for these are parenthesized.

ِAlso I could not locate the 3 terms the words Arabic Workspace (مساحة العمل باللغة العربية), Developers Playpen (مضمار المطورين) and Survey (الاستقصاء) would be in Arabic. The Arabic translations for these are parenthesized.

> This is the authoring screen for the noticeboard tool.
> We need to do something with the heading
> (circled in red) so that it doesn't overlap with the
> LAMS logo. We would probably leave the logo
> where it is.

You may want to center the heading.

> The field labels (circled in blue) would need to go on the right.

Yes that is right!

> We may not be able to fix the HTML editor so that the
> text appears on the left (see text circled in green).
> When the text is displayed in learner then it would be
> shown on the right.

This is no problem.

> The main problem is the notebook entry area on …
> This is a little Flash application so it is hard for us to change.
>When the user starts typing, the text appears left to right.
> We probably can't change this for 2.0.

This is no problem.

Hope this is helpful.

I will come back to you with more feedback in the coming few days.

Regards!
--
Abdel-Elah Al-Ayyoub
Professor and Technical Director
e-Learning Arabia
P.O.Box 176, Amman 11822, Jordan
Tel : + 962-6-5412463
Fax : + 962-6-5412465
Email: ayyoub@e-learningarabia.com

Posted by Abdel-Elah Al-Ayyoub

3: Re: Re: Urgent Feedback Needed on Right To Left Support
In response to 2 10/07/06 04:59 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Thanks - great feedback.

I should explain about the terms Everybody, Arabic Workspace Developers Playpen, etc. They are really data entries.

"Developers Playpen" and "Everybody" are the names of the dummy groups set up for testing. In a real LAMS implementation, these would be replaced with your own group names, entered via the admin screens. You would enter them in Arabic (or Spanish, Chinese, Maori, etc) so they would appear in Arabic (or whatever language you are using).

"Arabic Workspace" is name of the user's data folder. The name of the folder is created using the user's details. The user's details will be entered in Arabic, and so the name of the folder will be in Arabic.

I can see that the "Survey" translations are now done for Arabic, so I will update my files and next time I do a screen dump it will appear in Arabic.

Thanks again for your help.

Fiona

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum