Forum LAMS Lounge Forum: Re: Re: ESL or Languages

Search: 

3: Re: Re: ESL or Languages
In response to 2 10/31/06 04:41 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Folks,

Fiona Malikoff here - technical lead for the LAMS 2.0 project. Can't help with the teaching angle but I can clarify Bronwen's comment on the LAMS v2 translations.

LAMS 2.0 will probbaly be coming out with less than 30 languages. We have over 20 languages in translation but the translations aren't all complete and we will only release the completed translations.

Our translators are doing a sterling job of trying to keep up the translation work as we do the development, and we really appreciate the work they are doing!

Now before you all get too disappointed, the translation files can be added after you install LAMS so we are planning on releasing new language packs over the coming months, as the translations are completed.

In LAMS 2.0, you will be able to set one language as the server language, and another language as the user's language. So if your server is in English, then you could set up Maria to use Spanish. All the text you enter will be in English (or whatever language you use to type it in), but Maria will see the general headings on the screen, the buttons for Save, Continue, Next, etc, in Spanish.

Then when Maria is more comfortable with LAMS, then she can be switched to use English as her language. If they use LAMS enough, students will gradually get familiar with which button to hit next - you should see me trying to operate LAMS in Korean or Arabic and I'm sitting there going now which button was save and which button was cancel!

Changing a user's language will need to be done by someone with the appropriate administration rights - the user can't change the language themselves in 2.0.

Hope this helps!

Fiona

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS Lounge Forum