Forum LAMS Lounge Forum: Remote learning

You may request notification for Remote learning.
Search: 

1: Remote learning
10/12/10 08:54 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
How can LAMS be used in an environment that does not need the learners to have computers. This is mainly in rural areas where access is a problem, but content and lesson structure is at a critically bad level.

I know LAMS is an interactive integration tool, but could its functionality be reduced to perform in presentation style learning environments complete with lesson structuring and content.

Posted by Gareth Rees

2: Re: Remote learning
In response to 1 10/13/10 08:24 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Dear Gareth,

I think that this is a real strength for LAMS. When you open a LAMS tool (e.g. noticeboard) there are 3 tabs across the top. The "instructions" tab has a place for you to type 'online' instructions and 'offline' instructions. The offline instructions are for how to proceed with the activity when you have not access to computers. So a chat session can become a 'face-to-face' session, a submit file is simply 'hand in your work', and a share resources task is just about reading a printed out version of the resource (if it was not a video or animation).

Bare in mind that the original lesson author would have to be conscious that the lesson might be off-line. Alternatively, an innovative teacher could do it themself with a little bit of creative interpretation and editing.

I think in the future LAMS activity planner, you will be able to print out that set of instructions quite easily (LAMS guys correct me if I'm wrong).

Hope that helps, feel free to ask more.
Best wishes,
Bronwen

Posted by Bronwen Dalziel

3: Re: Remote learning
In response to 1 10/13/10 11:36 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
One of the less well known features of LAMS is the "offline activities" - you can see it in the Properties bar for each tool in the main Authoring environment (Properties is the bar at the very bottom of the screen - it pop open when you click on it).

For an animated walkthrough of how this feature works, see
http://wiki.lamsfoundation.org/display/lamsdocs/Creating+Offline+Activities

The idea behind this feature was that if you had a simple sequence where, say, you had some websites to view a Share Resources tool, then a discussion using a Forum, you could designate the discussion as "offline". This would mean that when students get to this task on their computer, it shows a message saying that the task is being done face to face, and they should see their teacher for details. LAMS doesn't "run" the discussion forum tool at this point - it just gives the offline message.

As a result, you have still captured the intention of the design (having a discussion at step 2), even though you might not do every task on the computer. Another byproduct is that if you changed your mind and did want to run the task on a computer, you simply uncheck the box, and the next time you launch this sequence with students, you'll get a Forum.

As Bronwen notes, you can also add instructions for teachers in the Instructions tab of the relevant tool to give advice on how the task is to be run offline.

So.... if I understand your context, you could use LAMS for lesson structuring (to show teachers the recommended structure of tasks), and also to present content (if you had a single computer and a projector, you could run the sequence and show students the websites from the first task on the project), but then when it comes to the discussion, you would run this face to face - and LAMS would give you a reminded of this on the projector when you reach this task.

I hope this helps - let me know if I've misunderstood or you'd like more thoughts on this.

Best wishes,

James

Posted by James Dalziel

Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS Lounge Forum