Forum Teaching with LAMS - experiences: Branching features for LAMS V2.1

You may request notification for Branching features for LAMS V2.1.
Search: 

1: Branching features for LAMS V2.1
07/24/06 05:33 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
One of the many reasons for the rebuild of LAMS into V2 was to support sophisticated branching, grouping and data in/data out options. New grouping features made it into V2.0, but branching and data in/data out will need to wait until V2.1 (due around May/June 2007).

You can see an example of one type of branch we're considering for LAMS at the V2 wiki - http://lamsfoundation.org/2.0/images/Visualization_of_branching_grouping.jpg

We're now getting into the detail of branching and data in/data out, and are keen to discuss how to expose this feature to users with members of the LAMS Community. Overall, do we have a few simple options for branching that anyone could use (eg. if you got 8/10 or above, go here, otherwise, go there), and then a more powerful set of features in an "Advanced" area that would require more technical skills? Do people have other ideas about how to expore this functionality?

What are the more powerful features you want? For example, if a quiz had 10 questions, which represented 5 questions on two topics, do you want to be able to say something like:
- If you got 4 or 5 on both, go on to the next topic;
- If you got 3 or less on set A, do this remediation content on topic A before you can go on to the next topic
- If you got 3 or less on set B, do this remediation content on topic B before you can go on to the next topic
- If you got 3 or less on both, do both remediation content items before going on to the next topic.
Would you want this kind of feature for branching, or something different? If this sounds like important kinds of functionality, how would you design a user interface for this?

A different kind of branching might be a combination of groups and branching - group A goes down branch A, group B goes down branch B, etc.

Another kind of branching might be based on forum postings - either number of postings or content. For example, students who posted 3 or more messages go down branch A, those who posted 2 or less, down branch b. More interestingly, you could try text analysis such as "those students who used the words X, Y or Z go down branch A, otherwise, go down branch B. In this case, the Forum tool is providing some structured data out of itself (data out) to be used by the branching tool to make a decision (data in). One of the key challenges will be how to describe data being handed between tools in a way that is simple, consistent, powerful and not too complex.

A complex type of branching that combines grouping, branching and data in/out might be where you have a whole class forum, followed by two small group forums, and you want to split the talkative and quiet student equally across the two small group forums. In theory, you like to write a branching script that said something like: students who posted 3 or more posts to the whole class forum, randomly and equally split them into two groups, and send these groups to the forums; for students who posted 2 or less postings, randomly and equally split them also into two groups (could be into the same 2 groups above), and send these groups to the forums. The outcome would be an even distribution of talkative and quiet students across the two small group forums. This feature may be too hard to achieve for V2.1, but the combination of branching, grouping and data in/out could be very powerful for this type of use.

We look forward to feedback on this, and lots of other ideas and suggestions!

Posted by James Dalziel

2: Re: Branching features for LAMS V2.1
In response to 1 07/24/06 06:00 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Well, I've been thinking that the process of creating branches should be similar to the way you create filters for your email. That is: given a few set of parameters "Subject", "Body", "From", "To", dates, etc you can specify branches according to those.

This way of creating rules is also flexible enough to allow a combination of the above parameter "If FROM ernieg@melcoe *and* SUBJECT important, then go to this branch".

So if a rule based system is not so complex to implement, then the key question is: what are the parameters to create rules based on. Of course we have scores, marks, etc... but each tool would have specific outputs. For instance, Q&A doesn't have marks or scores, but it has answers to specific questions. Similarly with Voting, so you need to know the answer of the poll in order to create a branch as well. Also, talking the number of postings in a forum might not be the best way to determine whether someone is talkative or not... You can post 5 postings saying "OK" and that will count you as a talkative person :-)... so maybe something along the line of number of words posted in all postings?

Therefore I think it's important to answer what are the key outputs that you as teacher would like to have to create branches... go as crazy as you can... we are branstorming here.

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

3: Re: Re: Branching features for LAMS V2.1
In response to 2 07/25/06 03:53 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Yes, most people think about branching only in terms of directing users through different paths according to testing results. I really welcome the flexibility you are planning to add to the branching functionality in LAMS. Some of the ideas James suggests are very interesting, such as branching according to specific words used in a forum or according to whether the user is very "talkative" or not.

I would like to add one suggestion: branching according to which resources have been chosen by the users. Imagine a situation where the teacher wants groups to work on different topics and consult different types of resources and s/he allows individuals or groups to choose which topic they want to work on. There might be cases in which the types of activities that users can or should engage in might vary considerably according to the specific topic chosen to work on: different "topics" can sometimes be associated to different types of skills or competences for which different types of activities (or sequencings of activities)might be relevant or desirable.

I think it could be very useful if one could device different sub-sequences of activities according to a particular choice made by users at the beginning of the sequence.

Josep M.

Posted by Josep M. Fontana

4: Re: Re: Branching features for LAMS V2.1
In response to 2 07/27/06 06:50 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Another criteria for branching could be the time spent by the learner on the previous activity/ies.

Posted by Matthias Scheja

5: Re: Branching features for LAMS V2.1
In response to 1 01/12/07 08:19 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
NB: I've just registered a trial account, and I assume that in doing so, I'm using v2.0 (because it has the grouping feature you refer to above, but no branching).

First of all, can I say how impressed I am with LAMS: a great application all round - easy to use, pedagogy-driven, and student-centred - but for me the 'student-progress' orientation is definitely the killer aspect.

Secondly, this particular posting is very encouraging, because it begins to deal with (at least one of) the 3 immediate problems for me - the strict linearity of tasks within a sequence.

I know that the Optional tool provides some respite from that, but branching would be much more useful for me. From what I've read here today, I see that this is being dealt with in very creative ways, which is very encouraging - I look forward to seeing how v2.1 finally does so.

The second immediate thing (and a relatively simple one I would think) that would make a huge difference, is the ability to link to another sequence - especially combined with the new branching tool.

Finally (I've been looking for an app like LAMS for years, so pardon my enthusiasm here), the third thing that would make this a killer app (this one may be a bit harder, but maybe not a hard as it first appears) is a Course Builder into which you drag-n-drop sequences - again, with branching - to create (a section of) a course.

This would work the same way as the lesson builder, but would just sit one level higher, and allow you to plan and track students' progress through a course, not just through a lesson.

I know there are other mechanisms out there to manage and sequence individual lessons, but as I said before, the killer aspect of LAMS for me is the student-progress orientation - and having the ability to use that at the course level as well as the lesson level would make it a killer app in my view.

Steve K

Posted by Steve Knowles

6: Re: Re: Branching features for LAMS V2.1
In response to 5 01/17/07 12:25 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Steve,

If you are using demo.lamscommunity.org as a server for trialing LAMS, then you are using LAMS2.0. If not, just go there and get yourself an account for the good stuff :-)

> The second immediate thing (and a relatively simple one I would think) that would make a huge difference, is the
> ability to link to another sequence - especially combined with the new branching tool.

We have a feature scheduled (LDEV-750) that will allow you to import a sequence within another sequence. So I guess once you import it, then you can use the branching tool to do the rest. Unless of course you want this to be done dynamicaly (which is too hard and is not part of LDEV-750, at least for now :-) )

> Course Builder into which you drag-n-drop sequences - again, with branching - to create (a section of) a course.

We have discussed this with James and Yoichi before. I think we called it a meta-authoring environment in which you can create aggregation of sequences at a course level.

There are lots of details to be worked out for meta-authoring so we haven't put it in the roadmap yet, but it's great to hear that you find it useful.

Thanks,

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

Reply to first post on this page
Back to Teaching with LAMS - experiences