Forum Higher Ed & Training Forum: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: RE: Interview with Associate Professor Dr Donna Gibbs

Search: 

9: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: RE: Interview with Associate Professor Dr Donna Gibbs
In response to 8 04/20/06 01:53 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
An interesting question, Robyn. There is a novelty effect, of course. If students were asked to do the same kind of sequence too often that would certainly have a negative effect. But good educators know that it is important to make choices - whether or not to use a particular technology or software, or when and how often to use it, for example. There needs to be a variety of approaches.

I think the point about novelty can be applied to using any technology. There is always a novelty effect but if it works well and does things in better ways than previously then we tend to keep using it! Who would be without communication by email or mobile phone now? In my view once you have used technology effectively in a classroom there is no going back. And I don’t think the students would let you do so if they had the choice. The students I have talked to who are using LAMS certainly want to keep using it.

Posted by Donna Gibbs

10: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: RE: Interview with Associate Professor Dr Donna Gibbs
In response to 9 04/20/06 06:05 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Donna,

One last question then - because I know this is your last day at the university.

Where do you see LAMS going in the future? Or where would you like to see it going?

Posted by Robyn Philip

11: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: RE: Interview with Associate Professor Dr Donna Gibbs
In response to 10 04/20/06 07:33 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Well, I hope in a way that I have no idea where it is going. I think this is likely because what I have found when talking to people is that each new user has a different slant on its potential. It is a system that lends itself to any manner of ways of doing things and as it expands – different languages, new tools, things we haven’t conceived of yet – it will have even more to offer.

I suppose what I really hope is that LAMS has started a revolution – a real transformation of the way technology can be used to improve teaching. I think that revolution has begun (full credit to James whose educational vision, leadership and tenacity have created that possibility) and I hope it leads the way for a new and better future for education. The world of publishing – transformation of the text book - could well be its next target. Who knows?

Today is my last day as you say, Robyn, but I can assure you I’ll stay connected! Thank you for so kindly giving me a voice in this space and every best wish to the remarkable LAMS team.

Posted by Donna Gibbs

12: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: RE: Interview with Associate Professor Dr Donna Gibbs
In response to 11 04/20/06 10:54 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Many thanks Donna.

As always it has been a pleasure talking with you.

And all the best for your new creative adventures! For those who don't know, Donna is going to be doing lots of writing of a different kind in the future - children's books.

So we wish you well and all the best, Donna and thank you for your input into the development of LAMS!

Posted by Robyn Philip

Reply to first post on this page
Back to Higher Ed & Training Forum