Forum Getting Started: Images in HTML noticeboard

You may request notification for Images in HTML noticeboard.
Search: 

1: Images in HTML noticeboard
11/17/05 12:07 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I am trying LAMS on my XP Laptop. I have the defualt setup. What I would like to know is where to store any images that I want to appear in the HTML noticeboard.

From what I have seen so far LAMS is an excellent tool.

Greg Jones
Teacher Librarian
Gympie State High School

Posted by Greg Jones

2: Re: Images in HTML noticeboard
In response to 1 11/17/05 07:32 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
The HTML Noticeboard doesn't have the capability to upload files for itself to use; but in general, LAMS does. You can either host your picture on your own web space if you have one, or you can use LAMS' share resources facility to upload your file to LAMS - I'll describe how to do this below (it's kind of a roundabout way to get LAMS to host your file for you).

In the Authoring screen, open a Share Resources tool.
1. 'Add new' to add a new share resource
2. Select 'Shared file'
3. Click 'Select file' to browse to your picture, then 'Upload' it.
4. Important part: the share resources tool will show in the 'Filename' text area some text like this, for example your picture called 'some_picture.gif'

urlcont:1641_some_picture.gif

5. Open a new browser window, and type this URL

http://localhost:8080/upload/1641_some_picture.gif

6. You should see the picture displayed in your browser. You can now use the above URL in an < img src=""> tag in HTML Noticeboard, where your image is hosted by your LAMS server. You can also safely remove the Share Resources tool if you don't need it, the file will still be there.

note: replace 'localhost:8080' with your server's hostname and port

Posted by Jun-Dir Liew

3: Re: Re: Images in HTML noticeboard
In response to 2 11/30/05 05:48 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I use this trick all the time in for HTML noticeboard.

I have a LAMS sequence that I simply call 'pictures' and it only consists of a share resources activity which I load any pictures that I want to use into.

I do it slightly differently. I zip all my picture files together and upload them into the shared website section.

To get the URL, I preview the file that I have just uploaded, which gives a list of the pictures that were in the zip file, and then I right click on the link and 'copy link'. You can then paste the link straight into your HTML code.

The annoying thing is then having to save, close and open the new LAMS sequence that I will be using with the HTML noticeboard. It would be much better to have a your own webspace and I think also easier to manage. (Imagine accidently deleting the LAMS picture file and finding that all your HTML noticeboards don't work anymore).

Hope that was helpful.

Bronwen

Posted by Bronwen Dalziel

Reply to first post on this page
Back to Getting Started