Forum Educational Support: Downloading a public sequence

You may request notification for Downloading a public sequence.
Search: 

1: Downloading a public sequence
09/21/06 02:27 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I have downloaded a public sequence created by Karen May called Celebrations. there are two shared files with this sequence but they do not open and tell me to contact my administrator. Could you tell me why they do not open as I would love to use the sequence.

Posted by Ann Gibbs

2: Re: Downloading a public sequence
In response to 1 09/21/06 05:21 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Dear Ann,

The two shared files need to be attached to the sequence when you open it in LAMS in authoring mode. You probably know this.

The files are: Word and powerpoint. They should be downloaded from the Community and saved to disk, along with the LAMS file which be saved as a .las file.

Go to LAMS, and in authoring mode import the LAMS sequence. You will then need to work out where each file goes, and upload it into share resources in the correct place in the sequence.

Then preview your sequence and see if this has worked successfully.

If you have further trouble, I think you will need to ask your local techie for help regarding how your computer deals with downloaded files.

All the best

Robyn

Posted by Robyn Philip

3: Re: Re: Downloading a public sequence
In response to 2 09/24/06 04:20 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Thanks Robyn - yes, this is the process for LAMS V1. It's a bit cumbersome, but it does work.

I should note that in LAMS V2, which comes out next month, we've solved this issue by having the LAMS sequence export file come out as a .zip file which incorporates any embedded resources such as Word and Powerpoint. So this means you just download the sequence once, and import it, and everything is already in place.

NB: If you would rather store your resources in an external repository, then you can still do this and point to them via a URL in Share Resources (rather than embed them in the sequence) - this decision (embed internal or point to external) is up to you as an author, depending on your circumstances.

One extra thing to be aware of with the new .zip feature for sequences: LAMS V2 export files will sometimes be much larger than in V1 because they incorporate any other files, and if these are big, then the full sequence file will be correspondingly large.

Posted by James Dalziel

Reply to first post on this page
Back to Educational Support