Forum Teaching with LAMS - experiences: e-learning NZ year 6-8

You may request notification for e-learning NZ year 6-8.
Search: 

1: e-learning NZ year 6-8
11/14/05 01:04 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
We have trialed two units of working using LAMS here in Christchurch NZ. Firstly two year 6-7 classes in two separate schools were paired for a unit on Vandalism. Sequences were released each week and used as an on-line activity along with other off-line activities, this meant groups rotated to the four avilable computers during the week. However once a week synchronous chat sessions were run in a lab situation.
The second unit was based solely around the use of LAMS to deliver the unit, apart from a field trip, with sequences developed for a one and a half hour session each week, for a period of five weeks - the topic being "What makes Christchurch, Christchurch? Students were linked across two learning centres on the east and south sides of the city and used chat and forums to discuss their views, virtual tours and other activities. We learnt heaps about using LAMS for on-line delivery. it has been an outstanding success and we got to meet each other in person on our field trip and subsequent web cam sessions.
For more info contact pat.street@ccc.govt.nz

Posted by Pat Street

2: Re: e-learning NZ year 6-8
In response to 1 11/14/05 05:58 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Pat,

Your experiences sounds really interesting! I like the way that you managed with only 4 computers alternated with the computer lab, and thought creatively about the different ways that you could make LAMS fit around your situation.

It would be great if you uploaded some of your sequences into the LAMS community so that we can see the different ways that it was used by your students. It would definitely be inspiring.

Cheers,
Bronwen

Posted by Bronwen Dalziel

3: Re: e-learning NZ year 6-8
In response to 1 11/14/05 08:20 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Pat,

Congratulations on your innovative use of LAMS. I know you had some hurdles to overcome in your use of LAMS as well so I'm very happy it was a great success. I can't wait to see the research paper you are all working on.

Karen

Posted by Karen Baskett

4: Re: e-learning NZ year 6-8
In response to 1 11/14/05 10:39 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Pat,

That's great news - thanks for sharing it with the LAMS Community. LAMS is ideal for shared classes across different locations, so I'm really pleased to hear of your success in doing this. All the best for future LAMS activities - maybe I'll be able to visit again some day ;-)

James

Posted by James Dalziel

Reply to first post on this page
Back to Teaching with LAMS - experiences