Forum LAMS Newsletter: Newsletter 21, 2nd Apr, 06

You may request notification for Newsletter 21, 2nd Apr, 06.
Search: 

1: Newsletter 21, 2nd Apr, 06
04/02/06 07:32 AM
[ Forward ]
LAMS Community hits 1000!

The LAMS Community now has over 1000 members - my thanks to everyone who has made this place a home over the past six months since its launch, and a special thank you to Ernie Ghiglione, it's his hard work above all that made this place possible.

LAMS Translators Flying!

Last week I mentioned the new feature for translating the next generation of LAMS into non-English languages. Well, things are already flying - as of today, we have 14 languages listed on our translations page - with 9 already having completed the translation of the new Authoring environment. For details, see http://lamscommunity.org/i18n/ here's a summary from Authoring:

Spanish 100% Completed!
French 100% Completed!
Chinese 100% Completed!
English Australia 100% Completed!
Swedish 100% Completed!
German 100% Completed!
Korean 100% Completed!
Italian 100% Completed!
Portuguese Brazil 100% Completed!
Norwegian 98.23% (2 missing)
Maori New Zealand 75.22% (28 missing)
Polish (underway)
Hungarian (underway)
Bulgarian (underway)

There are also new features to make it even easier to do translation straight over the web (you don't even need to know XML). So if your language isn't there, we welcome you to get started on it!

Chuck Severance video interview with James Dalziel

Chuck Severance, the lead architect of the open source "Sakai" LMS recently visited the LAMS team at Macquarie. I've talked about some of the technical outcomes in a previous newsletter, but Chuck also made a great 3 minute introductory video interview with me about LAMS. He's now posted this on his website and Google videos, so if you'd like to view it online, visit video.google.com and type: James Dalziel
or you can download a Windows Media Version of it (warning: large file) from http://www-personal.umich.edu/~csev/media//2006/lams/lams-323.wmv

This is a great short introduction to LAMS, the LAMS Community and our plans for the next version of LAMS. It's even got a soundtrack and some tourist shots! Chuck's made the video Public Domain, so it's free to use any way you like! Many thanks to Chuck for taking the time to put this together.

Who is using LAMS?

I get asked all the time about how many people are using LAMS, and where do they come from? Just this week, we discovered significant interest in LAMS from Bulgaria that I didn't know about (but am very happy to see!). So if you're using LAMS, and you haven't yet mentioned it in the LAMS Community, then can I encourage you to post a brief note just saying who you are and where you're from, and how you're using LAMS? If you're a bit shy about posting in the LAMS Community, then you can just reply to this email to let me know - then I can mention all the places that use LAMS when I'm asked, but without putting it on the community site.

Posted by James Dalziel

Post a Reply
Back to LAMS Newsletter