Forum LAMS Newsletter: Newsletter 12, 11th Dec, 05

You may request notification for Newsletter 12, 11th Dec, 05.
Search: 

1: Newsletter 12, 11th Dec, 05
12/11/05 02:52 AM
[ Forward ]
Student-created LAMS sequences

At Macquarie University, some of my colleagues in the Education Faculty have been using LAMS in their courses not just for student activities, but also for students to author LAMS sequences. After some initial teething problems with getting used to LAMS authoring (especially the need to save often), they had some oustanding outcomes from this experience.

In particular, a second year education course had all students (over 80) author a sequence, and describe their rationale for it, as part of their course assessment. Now that the course is complete, Donna Gibbs has uploaded 10 great examples of these sequences to the LAMS Community - there is one in the Public Area, and the rest are in the K-12 area (as they sequences relate to K-12 teaching). Her forum post on the background to this is at http://www.lamscommunity.org/dotlrn/clubs/educationalcommunity/k12schools/forums/message-view?message%5fid=112661

These sequences are every bit as innovative as those I've seen from educational professionals. It's exciting to see students take to LAMS and create such excellent sequences - I hope we'll see much more of this in the future.

For any other students or course co-ordinators out there who are involved in student authoring of LAMS sequences, you are always welcome to share them in the LAMS Community. For now you can share them in any of the existing communities, but please let me know if you think we need a special student community dedicated to sharing student-authored LAMS sequences.

Maybe the next step would be to have other students take an existing student sequence, and adapt it to another topic or age group?

Many thanks to Donna Gibbs, Leanne Cameron and Nick Hutchinson for running this course and giving students a chance to explore LAMS - and thanks to the students who've allowed us to share their sequences ;-)

LAMS Articles and Presentation

The Research and Development community has an area for LAMS articles and presentations - feel free to upload anything you've presented at conferences, etc in this area. I tend to upload my recent presentations/articles here - but if you're after a presentation of mine (James) and its not there, please let me know, and I can add it. For older presentations about LAMS, many of them are on the Resources page of the LAMS launch CD - see http://www.lamsfoundation.org/CD/html/resources.html

LAMS over Christmas and New Year

Next week will be my last LAMS newsletter for the year. I'll then take a break for two weeks over Christmas and New Year, and then I'll be in the UK for the BETT show in mid January - where we'll be launching our new LAMS eLC content for UK schools. The LAMS newsletter will start up again around mid January.

Posted by James Dalziel

Post a Reply
Back to LAMS Newsletter