Forum LAMS Newsletter: Newsletter 4, 16th Oct, 05

You may request notification for Newsletter 4, 16th Oct, 05.
Search: 

1: Newsletter 4, 16th Oct, 05
10/16/05 03:19 PM
[ Forward ]
Wireless, mobile LAMS

Often when teachers first use LAMS with students, they need to find solutions to all sorts of problems with network security, server installation, plug-ins, etc. While some of these problems can be avoided by using an off-site hosted LAMS server, there can be other problems such as port blocking (which can stop Chat working properly). These problems are especially common in today's school networks, where innovation in learning technology is often forestalled by IT Managers seeking to secure networks against any possible risks. It's always a hard balance to strike, but I visit many places where innovation suffers.

This week I tried a new type of solution to this problem - a completely mobile, wireless LAMS "classroom". I had a LAMS server running on my laptop, which I then connected to a wireless router - this created a wireless network around my laptop. Those in the room with their own wireless laptops could connect to the LAMS server on my laptop, and we were able to conduct a full LAMS sequence without ever using any "official" network or computers. For the full story, see http://www.lamscommunity.org/dotlrn/clubs/educationalcommunity/highered/forums/message-view?message%5fid=48590

This sort of "Guerilla LAMS" approach could be useful where you want the experience of using LAMS with students/trainees, but have no easy way to deal with local network issues. All you need is a (relatively powerful) laptop acting as a LAMS server, a cheap wireless router, and then enough wireless laptops to go around for your group (either brought by participants, such as in corporate training; or you could bring a set of them with you if you were visiting a school for some research or innovative teaching). Another side benefit is that by using laptops, you can do this in any classroom - you don't need a special computer lab, and have more freedom in classroom layout, etc.

There are some issues to keep in mind: first, the sessions only last as long as your laptop server and wireless network are running - so students can't go home and continue their sequences after class; second, you won't have internet access for your wireless network unless you've organised for an internet connection to be available to your server laptop; and third, you may want to add a data projector to your "Guerilla LAMS Pack" for illustrating things from the front. But none of these are major problems - all can be worked around to create interesting e-learning scenarios.

Perhaps we'll see a new breed of itinerant teachers, laptops and router in tow, conducting guerilla strikes in the name of e-learning innovation....

Software Update

We'd hoped to release the new LAMS V1.0.2 and installers this week, but we're still putting the final touches on these, so it will be a little longer. Same goes for the Moodle and Blackboard integrations. However, we've made faster progress that expected on the LAMS/Sakai integration - you can see animations of this linked to our LAMS Intergration website http://www.lamsfoundation.org/integration/

At EDUCAUSE next week, I'm planning to demonstrate both Sakai and Blackboard integrations live (live Moodle integration has already been out for a few weeks). The Blackboard integration will be shown at the Blackboard booth at 11:30am on Thursday; the Sakai integration will be shown briefly in my presentation on the LAMS Community at 11:40am on Wednesday (as part of the main conference program).

Posted by James Dalziel

Post a Reply
Back to LAMS Newsletter