Forum LAMS Newsletter: Newsletter 52, 3rd Dec, 06

You may request notification for Newsletter 52, 3rd Dec, 06.
Search: 

1: Newsletter 52, 3rd Dec, 06
12/03/06 05:30 AM
[ Forward ]
Big week ahead - LAMS V2 & Conference

The coming week is a big one for LAMS. Firstly, after over 2 years of development, the official release of LAMS V2 will be on December 6th. Many of you have already been exploring the test releases, and no doubt we'll keep improving and adding to LAMS after this week, but it will be great to make the release official. So many people deserve thanks for helping to make this happen - I owe you all a huge debt! While it might seem unfair to highlight any one person, I do want to give special thanks to Ernie Ghiglione, who has worked so hard to manage the development of V2 over such a long time, and despite all the ups and downs, he has helped create something very special - thanks Ernie!

Second, the LAMS Conference starts this week, also on December 6th. We've had quite a few late registrations, and there is still room for more if there is anyone else who decides to join us at the last minute - registration details at
http://lamsfoundation.org/lams2006/registration.htm

I appreciate that many readers will not be able to join us for the conference (and I appreciate the patience putting up with all the conference news in this newsletter!) but remain interested nonetheless. We hope to put up lots of resources from the conference on the website after the event.

Potential future LAMS Conferences - Feedback requested

For those who are NOT attending the LAMS Conference, we'd really appreciate feedback on two things:
(1) We expect to run the conference again around the same time next year and probably in Sydney - but we'd like feedback on this time/location or any proposed alternatives.
(2) I have heard some interest in the UK (and the rest of Europe) in a Northern Hemisphere LAMS Conference - so is there enough interest to put something together? If so, someone would need to organise and host the event (although the team in Sydney are happy to help with advice and support), and I'd be keen to come over if the idea got off the ground. I'm guessing something in the UK around the middle of 2007, but we'd really like feedback on this or any other suggestions.

LAMS Conference Podcasting

Allan Carrington and colleagues from the University of Adelaide will be podcasting the LAMS Conference next week - they have already set up a site for this (sponsored by Apple Computers), and have an interview with me about LAMS and how to get the most out of the conference. They'll be interviewing people throughout the event, and making the podcasts available through this site - see:

http://lams.edublogs.org/

New Image for Dolly (LAMS V2 mascot)

Dolly the Lamb, the mascot for LAMS V2, has undergone a makeover - I like her new look more than the old one - you can see her at:

http://www.lamscommunity.org/dotlrn/clubs/technicalcommunity/forums/message-view?message%5fid=339645

The current debate is whether she should lose the ruler....

Posted by James Dalziel

Post a Reply
Back to LAMS Newsletter